The coastal province of Krabi offers numerous natural hotspots and touristy attractions in case you want to experience something different from your usual Caribbean tropical packages that seem like your requisite and default standard in vacation destinations. You can also go from Krabi to Phi Phi if you have the right ferry to accompany you. Krabi Town is a good starting point since it’s the administrative capital of the region.
As for Phi Phi, it’s also a must-visit place because it’s a backpacker favorite and contains Thailand’s largest Marine National Park. You will be treated with numerous islands and islets galore, waterfalls and caves, fascinating coral reefs, the clearest of waters, and the sandiest of beaches in a place that’s best described as the epitome of tropical paradise.
Expectations and Realities
You’ll never run out of things to do at the Krabi Province. Here are some of the most exciting ones:
- Boat Trips and Charters: You should definitely add boat trips on your Krabi Province to-do list because it allows you access to the more secluded beaches on the mainland as well as the surrounding islands. You can also avail of local longtail boats, luxury charters, and bareboat or crewed packages as well as cruise ships, motorboats, yachts, and speedboats depending on your budget.
- Rock Climbing and Diving: Aside from your standard seafaring, beachgoer fun, you can also indulge in some rock climbing because Krabi has some world-class rock-climbing areas for you to visit. Another popular activity in this area is diving in the Andaman Sea or in dive shops in Ko Lanta and Ko Phi Phi.
- Shopping Options: A good place to go to if you’re a tourist in Krabi is Ao Nang, which is filled with obligatory t-shirts and the more exotic “billabong” shorts. Krabi Town is in and of itself a shopping paradise filled with malls as well as handicrafts, local art, and souvenirs that showcase the artistry and creativity of Thailand native culture.
- Fine Dining in Quality Restaurants and Bars: The local food is amazing, but like any other cuisine from another country, you should be aware that the flavor might be different from what you’re used to. They might be too spicy for your own personal taste, for example. There’s also an unsurprisingly large amount of seafood in this coastal region.
- Specific Cuisines to Look Out For: You can go local or go international. There are traditional Southern Thai foods available such as the Indian-influenced Massaman curry with nuts and potatoes and the Malaysian-influenced Panaeng curry that’s mostly dry. Or you can always go the Italian, grill, Chinese, and Japanese cuisine restaurants also available for familiar ground.
The Bottom Line
You won’t run out of things to do or places to visit in Thailand’s pride and joy, the Krabi Province. In fact, it’s the Thai flavor and culture that sets apart this tropical paradise from all the other tropical paradises out there that vacationers go to when they want to relax and unwind.
In any case, you will be treated with island excursions and activities galore in Krabi, such as Talay-Wak (the supposed miracle of nature with a beach that appears and disappears depending on the tide) and the gorgeous Huay Toh Waterfall, of Phanom Bencha National Park.