There is no vaccine yet for Zika virus so find below the following to protect yourself from the dangerous mosquito bites in Thailand (specifically for Thailand lifestyle)
- Cover your body, wear long sleeve shirts and long pants
- Use a mosquito net bed to stay away from mosquitoes
- Stay indoors in a place with air-conditioner and windows
- Use mosquito repellent
- Clothes must be treated in permethrin
- Zika is a sexually transmitted disease including oral sex so make sure to use condoms and dental dams
- Close your windows to avoid entry of any mosquitoes or insects
- Exercise indoors
- Stay away from standing water and do not travel to work in boat taxis
- Avoid sitting outside in restaurants to expose the probably of being bitten by mosquitoes
If you are traveling to a place which is affected by Zika virus then make sure to carry ample amount of mosquito repellent and wear long pants to cover exposed skin. If you are wearing sunscreen then make sure to apply mosquito repellent on top of the sunscreen.
The symptoms will be felt within the first two weeks of the bite. Most common symptoms are mild illness, red eyes, muscle and joint pain, fever and rash.
The virus could cause neurological problems such as temporary paralysis in a small number of patients so seeing the doctor would be recommended.